Auto problem selection

Site news and updates.
adum
Site Admin

Auto problem selection

Post by adum »

i've added a big "Go to Problems!" button on the home page. this starts solving around your current kyu/dan level, and there's a button to go to Next to automatically continue. an easy way to keep seeing problems at an appropriate level. i'll add checking to prefer problems you haven't seen before too.

that old section of the page had a basic problem search that was pretty useless, so i think this will be much more pleasant. let me know what you think!
adum
Site Admin

Re: Auto problem selection

Post by adum »

okay, now it prefers problems you haven't solved before.
momojojo

Post by momojojo »

You used to be able to choose the type of problem (life or death, endgame, etc. . .), and the problem level. Is that functionality gone? I really liked that.
adum
Site Admin

Post by adum »

i took that out -- i figured nobody was really using it. i could add it back in if there's popular demand.
Weichi

Post by Weichi »

I think that function is pretty convenient and we should keep it.
Weichi

Post by Weichi »

I used the auto problem selection function as an unregistered user and the system kept giving me problems of dan's or single kyu's, though I'm only a double-digit kyu player. I don't know if it was because I tried too few times or because I played as an unregistered player.
adum
Site Admin

Post by adum »

hmmn, that's interesting. it should work properly for unregistered users. anyone else have that problem?
momojojo

Post by momojojo »

I was using the choose-the-problem-level-and-type a lot. Sometimes I feel like just doing life-and-death problems, or sometimes endgame problems. And sometimes I feel like doing hard problems above my level, and sometimes I just want to blast quickly through a lot of easy problems below my level. I can't imagine I'm the only one.
0n1

Post by 0n1 »

the new selection method seems to give me problems 3-7 kyus above my level. I would prefer it feeding me 1-3 kyus above instead.

BTW, it would be great if you can add a clock to this problem auto-feed system, not just in time trial. So we will know how long we have used to solve the problem.

Currently, I'm using a bug in time trial to go through a particular lever several times: when I run out all the chances I have for mistakes, reloading the page will give me the next problem at the same level in kinda random sequence. This is ok, but as a pro user I would like have a better documented system.
Suggestion:
A. Keep time trial as a test with limited credits to go through, but make the sequence random each time a user starts it
or
B. Abandon the credits in time trial, and make just a way for users to practice at a specific level with a COUNTUP clock

Thank you for the updates, I really like the new system being able to give me a level estimate.
adum
Site Admin

Post by adum »

thanks for the suggestions. of course, you can always choose problem levels on the problem page. that might be the best way if you have a specific goal.