Many solutions seem correct but will make you a poor player

weichi

Many solutions seem correct but will make you a poor player

Post by weichi »

I apologize if I'm wrong. It appears that there are many solutions that seem correct, but are very awkward and inefficient. If players get used to these solutions, they may become poor players. Take question 12442 as an example (http://goproblems.com/12442). The second "correct" solution is BA3, WE1, BB2, WD1, BF1... BF1? Why? This step is totally useless and gives white an opportunity to place one more stone without any cost. How can such a step be counted as right? The third solution is equally awkward, if not more.

The question is a "life and death" question, but the purpose of working on a question is to make our moves more efficient and more effective. Solution examiners really shouldn't mark this type of solutions as right. Games between good players are usually determined by a difference of one or two liberties. Wasting liberties like that would get players anywhere near being a good one.
ElisaGilmore

Re: Many solutions seem correct but will make you a poor pla

Post by ElisaGilmore »

weichi wrote:I apologize if I'm wrong. It appears that there are many solutions that seem correct, but are very awkward and inefficient. If players get used to these solutions, they may become poor players. Take question 12442 as an example (http://goproblems.com/12442). The second "correct" solution is BA3, WE1, BB2, WD1, BF1... BF1? Why? This step is totally try rainbow riches slot here useless and gives white an opportunity to place one more stone without any cost. How can such a step be counted as right? The third solution is equally awkward, if not more.

The question is a "life and death" question, but the purpose of working on a question is to make our moves more efficient and more effective. Solution examiners really shouldn't mark this type of solutions as right. Games between good players are usually determined by a difference of one or two liberties. Wasting liberties like that would get players anywhere near being a good one.
I like your thought.
nimbim

Re: Many solutions seem correct but will make you a poor pla

Post by nimbim »

You can use the "Needs Fixing" flag to notify the problem creator or editors to fix that up. I usually don't allow bad solutions in my problems or at least I add a comment to make it plain why it's bad to play that way. I think it's okay to allow a bad solution for ddk problems as long as the player is notified of what he did wrong, I have added the neccessary commentary for this problem.