Restore old system of assessing problem difficulty

term100

Restore old system of assessing problem difficulty

Post by term100 »

The main difficulty ratings that are currently given to problems are clearly out of whack. The old system of simply basing it on the solve ratio leads to much more sensible ratings; at worst, there is a bit of inflation when it comes to the very early problems, but that's pretty much it.
adum
Site Admin

Re: Restore old system of assessing problem difficulty

Post by adum »

I do still display the old rating if you click on the new one.

But what's the problem with new system? How is it clearly out of whack? I'd like to fix it if possible.
term100

Post by term100 »

adum wrote:I do still display the old rating if you click on the new one.
That's actually how I know in the first place that the old style of assessing problem difficulty (still) gives much more reasonable ratings, but the point of course is that the "autolevel" feature doesn't make use of those values.
But what's the problem with new system? How is it clearly out of whack? I'd like to fix it if possible.
I can't give an answer of the kind that would lead directly to a fix; all I can say is that if you just go through the problems yourself, you can see how it's more rule than exception that the new-style rating can differ by as many as 5 or even more stones than the old-style one, with the latter value being much closer to common sense. For example, there are many "formerly" 4-6kyu problems that are now ridiculously considered to be of dan level.
term100

Post by term100 »

If the problem ratings were supposed to converge to something more sensible over time, it clearly hasn't happened. This should be obvious to anyone just by going through the problems. You should either come up with a better system or go back to the simple yet effective solve ratios.
wurfmaul

Post by wurfmaul »

For example, http://goproblems.com/prob/ratinghist.php?id=16102 . The problem is about two years old, but during the last two months the rating went from approximately 10kyu to 3kyu, when I would expect the rating to have converged already.

One issue that makes coverging hard might be that many users without pro-access, like me, start at 30 kyu, and will drop back to 30 kyu after a few days. That means that they will be significantly underrated for a significant time. I don't know though whether that's the "main" issue, I guess not.

The solve ratio rating is still visible, but I would like to search problems based on it (without using the time trial).
slashme

Post by slashme »

That problem seems to have started oscillating around 5k, which I think is about right.