Sudden applet problems on linux

bass

Post by bass »

There are actually two separate problems I have encountered on linux.

I first noticed these problems today, 2008-07-01, but haven't been checking very recently, so they may have been in effect even last week.

1. On Firefox 2.0.0.6, java 1.6.0_01-b06, the java starts to load the applet, but after very little progress, the browser simply crashes. This is on the suse linux machine, which I have been successfully using to view goproblems.com for a long time.

The only thing I remember changing at this end is the internal network address of the machine, which I find a very unlikely cause for such a problem.

2. On another machine (freshly installed Ubuntu), Firefox 3.0, java 1.6.0_06-b02, the applet typically loads and works fine when it is first loaded. Comments do not show, however. (IIRC, comments also didn't show with java 1.5.)

Also, any attempt to reload the page, or use the prev button to see another problem results in either blankness (sometimes with an "X" icon) where the applet should be (problems with the applet start/stop methods maybe?), or sometimes the java plugin starts to reload the applet, but freezes after _very_ little progress. Looks like this happens at the same point as the crash on slightly older java.

The firefox error console only complains about the style sheet:

Warning: Unexpected end of file while searching for closing } of invalid rule set.
Source File: http://www.goproblems.com/gostyle.css
Line: 25
Warning: Selector expected. Ruleset ignored due to bad selector.
Source File: http://www.goproblems.com/gostyle.css
Line: 1

and so on, I would guess those are unrelated.

{Posted by bass}
bass

It is about java plugin version after all.

Post by bass »

Apparently, I had managed to update my browser's java plugin.

The site works only with sun java plugin 1.5.* (apt-get install sun-java5-plugin), newer versions will crash and older ones will not display comments.

{Posted by bass}