Problem novelty check

Thomas Derz

Post by Thomas Derz »

There seems to be a novelty check on the site. How does it work?

Problems #1636-1640 & 1647 do all show the same problem.

When I tried to enter my first problem, I copied the SGF-code of the explanation page and pasted it.
Goproblems ecognized immediatly that the problem was known. I altered something tiny (I forgot what) and it was not recognizedanymore.
Does this mean the problem could be posted the first four times so messy, despite that it must have been detected?

Of course it could be allowable to post a problem position twice for different reasons, e.g. once with black's, once with white's sente, or with different hints or aims, e.g. a) kill the group, b) win the game, or with hints at different level or with different introductions.

Tommie

{Posted by Thomas Derz}
admin

Post by admin »

the novelty check is quite basic: it just checks if the SGF is identical. if even one character is different, it will fail.

obviously this isn't a robust system, but it's pretty hard to automate this. i rely on people to not mess up too much, and if they do, fix it. the correct way to fix a mistake is to Edit a problem instead of adding a new one. if people accidentally add several copies of a problem, hopefully they'll delete the extra ones themselves (by making them not live in the Edit screen), or i'll have to go through and do it manually.

speaking of which, i'll clean up the problems you mention =)

adum

[quote]
There seems to be a novelty check on the site. How does it work?

Problems #1636-1640 & 1647 do all show the same problem.

When I tried to enter my first problem, I copied the SGF-code of the explanation page and pasted it.
Goproblems ecognized immediatly that the problem was known. I altered something tiny (I forgot what) and it was not recognizedanymore.
Does this mean the problem could be posted the first four times so messy, despite that it must have been detected?

Of course it could be allowable to post a problem position twice for different reasons, e.g. once with black's, once with white's sente, or with different hints or aims, e.g. a) kill the group, b) win the game, or with hints at different level or with different introductions.

Tommie
[/quote]

{Posted by admin}