Finding out level?

xnarux

Post by xnarux »

Hey, just my second post here, I;m semi new to go. about 3 to 5 weeks.
the problems on this site seem to be rated very strange, I did a 4 kyu problem in about 3 seconds, but I've had problems on 10th kyu.
It seems to varry to much for me to really know what my level of play is , so is there anywhere else I can find out?
thanks^^

{Posted by xnarux}
santa c

gp ranking is known to be problematic

Post by santa c »

you shouldn't rely on the ranking here too much because it's auto set by the % of ppl who fail to solve the problem - which by itself sounds really good - only people don't always take the time to read... (an old argument it is...)

you shouldn't worry about your rank, it'll grow as you become better... only reason it exists is to help you find an equal match for a game... so you should just start playing. ohh yeah, and when u play on some server like igs/kgs or basically anywhere... you get a rank... :)

{Posted by santa c}
xnarux

Post by xnarux »

Hey thanks much^^
I have IGS but I've never actually figured out how to get a match. could you help me out?

{Posted by xnarux}
metaldestiny

Finding your level

Post by metaldestiny »

I realize that the grading system on this site is just a guideline, but if you want a rough idea without playing on a server, try to load all the Go problems from 30k (or whatever you feel will be too easy) and up, in ascending order of difficulty. When you find yourself getting them wrong more often than right, that should be around your level.

{Posted by metaldestiny}