Does go show the player's personality?

Clifton

Post by Clifton »

I have read in multiple places that masters of go can tell someones personalty by the way they play. I posted a similar question on KGS in the chat window a while back. The ensueing discussion was very interesting. I can believe after all the research I've done that go can show a player's personality, but I would like to hear what people have to say. My theory is that as a player improves past the beginner level, and they begin to develope their own playing style, their persona keeps showing more and more through the board. And even as a beginner I will say with confidence that no two(human) players are completely alike. I also speculate that the reason computers aren't better than strong beginners; maybe getting past that stage requires
(of coarse this is just my speculation)...
#1 more processing than the programs can provide at this point ^_^
#2 the player to begin developing their own style

With all the possibilities in go, I'm sure a master could learn about a person by their moves.
---------------
Playing go is like trying to hold sand. The more you tighten your grip, the more it slips through your fingers. (Something a family member said when I was trying to teach them the basics)

{Posted by Clifton}
xnarux

Post by xnarux »

I agree completely there
I've only been playing for a little less than a month, maybe a little more. my friend got me into it.
Already I;m the best in my group of friends notably since I play any time its humanly possible, and I end up playing a lot of people.
Everyones playing style seems to give off a different feeling, and so it does seem like when you play go, your combating their very person against your own.
hah its so awesome^^V!!

{Posted by xnarux}
AngelMarie

Post by AngelMarie »

Actually, you can tell a lot about a person by a lot of things, but what makes Go kind of unique, is that unlike on the internet in say chat rooms, there is no real likelihood of a player purposely playing in another style just to fool people about who they are. It's more like a picture of someone... no matter how they pose, very few people can conceal all of their personality that shows in their face, in their posture, in their manner of dress, how they wear their hair, the signs of their normal expression that forms one's features... but most importantly, one's eyes, which very few can sincerely make to lie.

In Go, it's not only possible, but nearly definite that who one is will come out in their manner of play. If they are impatient people, their plays will probably be daring and aggressive; if they are contemplative and placid, their game will probably be a lot more well thought out and involve more (if not better) strategy than say, a proud, cocky person who, in his or her rush to show off, will probably play boldly if not recklessly.

The personality of a human being, unless one purposely and skillfully conceals it in each specific thing, will come out in everything one does, how one behaves, how one presents one's self, the choices one makes... even the way one looks. But very few notice enough detail of the world around them to take notice or to care to read those details which tell us about those around us. To do so, like Go, requires a collected, observant mind... which is probably why I have yet to play my first game against another human being. XD

- Gozuki no Angel

{Posted by AngelMarie}